At Dynamic Medical Imaging of Union, NJ, our Upright MRI helps patients who experience anxiety or claustrophobia to successfully complete their diagnostic imaging. According to recent reports, up to 5% of the population in the U.S. suffers with claustrophobia. Many patients who come to DMI had previously experienced a multitude of symptoms when enclosed in a traditional, recumbent MRI, such as:
- Elevation in blood pressure and/or pulse
Fortunately, there are many self-help strategies and options available to those who struggle with anxiety and claustrophobia, including Andrea Perry’s Book: Finding Your Way Out. When dealing with the fear of going into a confined space – such as a traditional, tube-like MRI, one must assess the risk and develop self-trust. In her book, a mnemonic – FFR (Factorize, Familiarize, Rationalize) helps to do just that:
- FACTORIZE: Identify each aspect of the situation that we feel apprehensive about.
- FAMILIARIZE: Find out about and understand each aspect, in sufficient detail to enable us to
- RATIONALIZE: To separate fantasies from facts.
Below are some questions to help assess risk and develop self-trust when coming to Dynamic Medical Imaging for an Upright MRI:
1. How likely is that the MRI machine will malfunction is such a way as to pose an actual physical threat? At Dynamic Medical Imaging we screen all patients to identify possible contraindications that limit a patient from having an MRI. Also, the machine is extremely safe, and you are in complete control and can stop the procedure at any time. There is a manual mode so we can always take you out of the machine.
2. What resources do I have and what support is available to help me cope with whatever happens? At Dynamic Medical Imaging, a technologist is always present, you have complete control of the situation and can stop the study at any time. In addition, you can have someone in the room with you.
At Dynamic Medical Imaging, we strive to provide a stress-free, relaxed experience for all our patients. We accomplish our goal by integrating our state-of-the-art Upright MRI with the compassionate, expertise of our Team. Educating and answering all our patients’ questions is key to a successful outcome. Adding to the comfort, is the ability to either sit or stand and watch television. Stress is reduced, and often eliminated with DMI’s Upright MRI. If you or a loved one will need an MRI, please feel free to call and discuss our stress-free, Upright MRI option. We can get through this together. Please call 908-687-2552 today, we are here to help.